Sunday 16 December 2012

Facing the End of the World


I've been thinking about how to deal with impending doom. I'm not referring to December 21st, the end of the Mayan long count calendar. What’ got me shaking in my boots is the approach of my 40th birthday. Traditionally, men face this milestone by buying a Corvette, or a Harley, getting a tattoo, or an earring. I was seriously considering going skydiving. I still might, although it will likely be in one of those huge indoor simulators – you know when you jump into a wind tunnel or something along those lines. But then I had an epiphany of sorts. More than anything, I want to write.

I’ve dabbled with the idea of becoming a writer before. This is not my first blog. I’ve blogged on politics, I’ve blogged on sports – both topics I have an avid interest in, but I seemed to lack the motivation to keep going. Today I’ve found my blog niche, I want to right about the dreams that inspire us. My dream is to write. Other people dream of opening their own small business, or becoming a doctor. Reaching for something that seems a little out of reach is the inspiration on our human journey. No dream is too big if you want it bad enough.

As I sat at home on this Sunday night I was surfing the internet for ideas, for inspiration. Of course I have dreams of being recognized for my writing, to be published – every aspiring writer does. But my epiphany tonight was that this isn’t the reason to become a writer. Writing is something I love to do. I realized I need to writer for the love of writing in and of itself. I don’t know what will come of this journey, but I do know that I am a writer. This blog is about my journey to realize a dream. In the process I plan to look at the dreams of others, at the stories that inspire us. The world is full of negative writing; I want to look at the efforts people make to realize their dreams – the positive side of life. Their inspiration will be my inspiration, and will allow me to realize my own dream – to become a writer. I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you Thank you for coming along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment