Monday 17 March 2014

How to Deal With Writers Block

                                Image courtesy of Grant Cochrane / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

So I'm sitting in front of my computer right now wondering what to write about. Writers block must be one of the most frustrating experiences in the world. That's where I'm at now. It occurred to me that a good way to deal with this was to talk about the problem itself. That's what this article is about. How to overcome writers block.

I think there are a couple of things that lead to writers block. Such as? I believe it's largely related to stress and lack of sleep. At least it is in my case. Unfortunately quite often lack of sleep is caused by stress, and lack of sleep can be stressful. Following me so far? It sounds like one long never ending cycle, but it's not.

There are some tried and true ways to get past writers block. The first thing I try is walking away from my writing for a while. That's right, just put it away and go read a book, watch a movie, do some baking, or head to the gym. It doesn't matter what you do, it just needs to be something that you can do with minimal effort on your part - something you really enjoy.

Doing something you enjoy will help you to reduce your stress. It will take your mind off things. Then hopefully you can get back to your writing with a renewed sense of vigour. It usually works for me. 

On rare occasions when this doesn't do the trick you may need to sit down and force your way passed it. The method I use in these situations is to just start writing about anything. 

For example, I might be watching the hockey game on the television, and I'll just start writing about how the game is going. It's not something I'm ever going to publish, it's just a tool to get the creative juices flowing. Give it a try!

Before I know it I'm several paragraphs in and I'm ready to get back to the serious writing. How about you? What tools do you use to get passed writers block? Let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear your ideas on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment