Sunday 25 May 2014

Desire for Change, Develop a Plan







Fun in the Sun
photo credit: Loowgren via photopin cc 





It's a beautiful spring day and I'm sitting in the back yard contemplating the rest of the year. It's hard to stay focused, the dogs are playing, the birds are chirping, and there's a perfect little breeze blowing. But this perfect day is exactly the reason I'm determined to get down to work. It's my goal to be able to do this every day. That is work from my backyard everyday.

I'm not one of those people that can't stand their day job. I like what I do. I just don't want to do it forever. In five years I want to be working from home all the time. The question is how do I get there? I believe it comes down to developing a plan.

Successful businesses have a plan. They plot a course for a year down the line - even five years. Why not do this on a personal level? There's absolutely no reason not to. Success doesn't just happen you have to work at it.

Determine where you want to be in five years, and then break it down into one or two year increments.Let's use the example of a blogger. 

If you want to become a professional blogger perhaps one year from now you set a goal for yourself of making a steady secondary income from blogging. Two years from now you're blogging income is beginning to grow to the point that it's about half the amount of your regular day job. By the third or fourth year you're doing so well you're ready to take the plunge and quit your day job.

Sounds so easy right? But each step along that course requires an action plan. If you want to turn your dream into reality, instead of just a pipe dream, you need to know how to get there.

For a blogger that might entail creating a post everyday for the first year, while increasing your social media presence. In other words you have to create the content and get the word out. After a year of this you'll have a lot of content available to your readers - preferably valuable - and you'll have established a loyal following.

Now that you've established your presence in the first year you're ready for that next step. In the case of a blogger this might include actively seeking endorsements from popular bloggers to help take you to that next level. If you can get others who are already successful to endorse you, you can expect your presence to continue to grow.

Back to the main point. If you want to walk way from your day job and begin working for yourself you need a plan. Don't just sit in your backyard enjoying the sun, thinking about it. Do it! Get started today. What's to be afraid of? That you might fail? True, but I don't know about you, I'll be a whole lot more satisfied with myself knowing that I at least tried.

Have you seriously considered quitting your day job? Do you have a plan to get yourself there? Let me know about it. I'd love to hear from you.




No comments:

Post a Comment