Friday 22 August 2014

New Beginnings

New Beginnings







  When children experience something new the wonder in their eyes sparks something in all of us. It takes us back to a time when we were that young ourselves. But the question is why do we find it so hard to capture that feeling as adults? 

The truth is as we get older stress gets in the way of that feeling. Often it's financial stress, which we're all familiar with, but that's not what I want to talk about. I think the real reason we lose that spark of wonder when experiencing something new is that we aren't satisfied with our life choices.

Too many of us make choices that are just okay. It wasn't our first choice, but it will do. We plug along through life settling. Things seem okay, but deep down inside we know we're settling for less than we should. That feeling lurking under the subconscious slowly builds, and, over time, we find ourselves stressed out and we simply don't know why. We're stressed because we're not where we want to be in life.

How do we get to where we want to be in life? It starts with being honest with ourselves. Once we admit we're not happy, we can begin to focus on what will make us happy. Don't get me wrong, getting what we really want out of life is not always easy, but it is worth it. Myself I always wanted to write. Magazine articles, blog articles, short stories, even novels. I am a writer now, but for the longest time I did nothing but think about it.

I always read more than anyone else I knew. When I did write something, I'd get compliments on my style and the inevitable suggestions that I should consider doing more with it. I'd shrug it off, assuming they were just being courteous. It just didn't seem practical. Most of all, I didn't want to fail at it. But it always nagged at me. Finally I decided to give it a shot, and I haven't looked back.

Starting down a new path is a scary thing. We all like our comfort zone, but we like success so much more. Now that I'm pursuing  what I really want to do I'm starting to recapture that childlike enthusiasm. I've got that sparkle back in my eye, and a real sense of optimism about the future. I definitely recommend taking a chance on going after what you really want out of life. Just keep telling yourself failure is not an option, and you will get there.

How about you? Have you taken a chance? Are you pursuing your real dreams? If not why not? Recapture that sparkle. Let me know how your journey goes, I'd love to hear about it.










No comments:

Post a Comment