Tuesday 11 February 2014

Inspiration from those Flapping Bird Thingys

                            Image courtesy of Debspoons / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I've been thinking about this Flappy Bird phenomenon. Apparently, it was created by an independent developer out of Vietnam. A one man show. He was reportedly making $50,000 a day through advertisements on his free app. The game was the number one download on IOS and Android, and then for some reason he decided to remove it from both app stores. I'm not sure why, and it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that a single individual was able to create an app that was far more popular than anything the major development studios could come up with. That is truly inspirational!

Think about that. Some guy sitting in his easy chair, banging away at his laptop, was able to produce an app that out performed everyone. Mind boggling! But it should serve as an inspiration for us all. Don't constantly worry about all the reasons you won't succeed, instead, think about what you are going to do to make sure it happens. We all have the capability within us to achieve great things. Unfortunately most of us are happy to wallow in obscurity.

How do we change this mind set? We have to stop worrying about what everyone else around us will think. Do you have something to contribute? Yes, you do. We all have untapped passion within us. Every single one of us. The challenge is figuring out what the source of that passion is, and how to prove all the doubters wrong.

Just get started already! That's the key. No more excuses. Stop planning and start doing. Procrastination is the number one killer of all dreams. I have no doubt of this, because I've lived it myself. For the past few years I've dabbled with this writing thing. I'd start writing, get discouraged with how much it seemed like work, and put it off till tomorrow. No more! I'm now writing everyday, and with each word I write I actually become more and more passionate about what I'm doing. And you know what I've discovered? Doing something you love is not work at all, it's invigorating.

Don't get me wrong there is work involved if you want to succeed at what you're passionate about, it just doesn't seem like work when it comes from the soul. I had to learn how to create a blog, I had to do my homework to figure out how to develop an audience for my blog, and I had to do a heck of a lot of reading to see how other people succeeded at this writing thing. That was work. Now that I've struggled through this learning process it is less and less about work, and more and more about pursuing something I'm passionate about. Anyone can do this. Whatever your passion is, you can pursue it and you can succeed at it. You just have to stop procrastinating and get it done. So what do you think? Are you going to start pursuing your passion today?

No comments:

Post a Comment