Monday 10 February 2014

Pets Provide Love and Inspiration for us All



Pets provide unconditional love and support. They don't have any unrealistic expectations of us. All they want is our love. In return they provide us with support and comfort - they never judge us. Boy! Don't you wish everyone else treated us like our pets?

A little over a year ago we lost our dog Carling. It was hard on us all. She really was a part of our family, but I don't regret having her in our lives. I would do it all over again, and I am sure we will one day. Part of life is dealing with loss, and one of the hardest parts.

Apart from not judging us, how else do our pets provide us with inspiration? Think about what motivates them. Where is my food? Can we play catch? How about taking me for a walk? Simple isn't it? Well don't start tuning me out just yet! I'm not suggesting if we all get rid of our smart phones and find a bone to chew on life will be perfect! Although it would probably be quite the sight to see! The point I'm trying to get at, is that we need to simplify our lives.

Our lives today are saturated with information overload. We are always online. Smartphones, tablets, gaming systems, and laptops. Morning, noon, and night, we are always staring at a screen. No wonder we seem to be a culture devoid of ideas. We don't know how to function without our gadgets. So what do we do about it?

We need to simplify things, look at life a little more like our pets do. What would really inspire us? What would make us happy? I'm not suggesting we get rid of all gadgets and head back to nature. At least not all the time! But a little nature in our lives can be incredibly cathartic. With this in mind I'd like to present you with a challenge.

One day a month forget about all the technology. Sit back, read a good book, and picture what life was like before society was so dependent on it. Don't even turn on the television. Take your dog for a long walk, play a board game with the kids. It doesn't matter. Just take a break from the Information Age for one day. I truly believe this will provide us with a renewed sense of perspective. What could be more inspiring? Drop me a line. I'd love to hear how you spend your tech free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment