Sunday 9 February 2014

Writing to Inspire, Creativity is your Spark

                             Image courtesy of Zirconicusso/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

As I sit here in the comfort of my living room, fireplace roaring, and the family noise in the background, I consider what provides me with that spark of inspiration. That one little spark to help me produce another article I can be proud of. Like Brian Gardner in his blog post "The Danger of Having Roll Models", I often wonder how I compare to others that do this blogging thing. Does my writing measure up?

In the end I always come back to the same point, if I believe I have produced the best work I can, if I haven't taken short cuts or put together a sloppy article just for the sake of getting it out there, then my work will hold it's own. This is the type of standard any writer should have for themselves if they want to be successful. Let's be straight, there are millions of articles on the web. You have to produce good work to be noticed, or people won't come back. If you're not convinced you've created your best work, don't expect anyone to be interested in what you have to say.

Let's look at an analogy to illustrate the point. We all love to admire the stars on a warm summers evening, but what do we focus on when we look up at the nights sky? The brightest stars of course! The ones that stand out from the crowd. To get noticed on the crowded web, you need to be one of those bright stars. You're best chance at being one of these bright stars is to always strive to make your next article better than the last. If you believe you've done this, the rest will fall in to place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you can just write great articles and people will flock to your site, but if your content is worthless all the promotion in the world won't save you. You might make all the right moves, post your blog to various social media outlets, encourage family and friends to visit your site, but what is there to keep them coming back? You simply must have great content, and then you can work on how to drive traffic to your site. What do you think? Can your website survive without great content?

No comments:

Post a Comment