Monday 3 March 2014

Avoiding the Blahs - Diversify Your Life

                                  Image courtesy of Evgeny Dinev / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

It's that time of year. Almost everyone experiences it to some extent. That's right, the winter blahs! How do we avoid them?

Well, we all have something we're passionate about. Something that inspires us. But far too often we find ourselves losing interest in our hobby without a back up plan. This can lead to boredom and depression. So, is there anything we can do to avoid this?

First off let's be clear. I'm not a psychiatrist. I'm simply suggesting what's worked for me. Hopefully it can help you too.

Diversify your interests. When we let our life become too focused on one thing, we leave ourselves vulnerable. When we have numerous things on the go our lives are more well rounded.This is especially relevant during those long winter months.

For example, I like to post to this blog, I'm an avid reader, I play guitar, I go to the gym two or three times a week, and I love to Kayak. Now these may be my main interests, but I'm always up to trying new things.

Sometimes I might not be in the mood to go to the gym, but I'm happy to head home and strum a few songs on the guitar. What you choose to do in your spare time is entirely up to you. The point I'm making is simply to broaden your horizons. When you do, you're less likely to suffer a case of the blahs.

If you look at any successful person you can think of, you can be sure they've got multiple things on the go ALL the time. There you have it. That's my take on the matter. Nothing earth shattering, but I hope it works for you as well. Let me know how you deal with the blahs. I'd love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment