Saturday 27 December 2014

How to Avoid Losing Customers




One of my biggest pet peeves is heading online to search for some information I desperately need, only to be thwarted by the "snake oil salesmen" of the modern world. You know the type. They suck you in with a hook suggesting they have all the answers you're looking for, let you read four teasing pages of web type, and then you find that you have to buy their eBook if you really want all the information you're looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against people making money for their hard work. I'm a big fan of it myself! I just don't believe you should waste peoples time letting them read page after page, only to tell them you're not giving the information away for free.

I guess what these people are hoping for is that by the time you get through their spiel, and you've been exposed to their writing style, you'll recognize them for the experts they are and you'll be dying to buy their book. Personally, the only thing I want from them at the end of their little deception is to go away!

My little piece of advise to anyone considering marketing their latest eBook this way? Don't! This is one of the easiest ways to alienate potential customers. Tell me right at the beginning of the article that you will offer a few useful insights for free, but that I have to buy your eBook for the rest of the material.

We were all told in grade school that "honesty is the best policy" right? Nothing's changed. Do yourself a favor, be honest about your intentions and you'll be a lot more successful. 

Have you ever been frustrated by long winded sales pitches that try to conceal themselves until the last possible moment? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear if you've had a similar experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment